We have 12 guests and no members online
Welcome to MindSportsAcknowledgement
- We humbly acknowledge that old games are always better because inventing games is one of two human activities excluded from progress. The other one is the brain activity of people who subscribe to that point of view.
- You can play here for free. The Arena is dedicated to high strategy only, and features a rating system.
Collateral damage can be found in The Pit.
- We're more committed to strategy games than to tactical ones.
Here's the difference:
Strategy games have strategies varied enough to allow different styles of play, tactics varied enough to induce their own terminology, and a structure that allows advantageous sub-goals to be achieved as calculable signposts along the way.
Tactical games have strategies that are either fairly obvious (however deep), like Pente, or fairly opaque, like Othello.
- Games have a spirit - the ones of Chess and Draughts have been implemented in one form or another by almost every culture in the world.
- We're not entirely serious all the time, yet we may bring up that:
- Having thoughts is not the same as thinking.
- Opinions are difficult because they're too damn easy.
- José Raúl Capablanca and Bobby Fischer were great players, not great inventors.
- Draughts players are hooked on opposition - they'll oppose anything.
- To make a small fortune with abstract games, start with a big one.
- Life is fundamentally futile and great games are a tribute to that.
- Defining the Abstract - a leading article by J. Mark Thompson.
- Redefining the Abstract - a critique by N. Michael Bentley.
- The unwinnable game - By Finlo Rohrer, BBC News Magazine.
Upcoming / running events
- 14th Conference on Advances in Computer Games (ACG2015)The fourteenth conference on Advances in Computer Games (ACG2015) was held in Leiden, the Netherlands, in conjunction with the 21th World Computer Chess Championship and the 18th Computer Olympiad. The conference ran from July 1 for three consecutive days. The WCCC and the CO took place from June 29 to July 5, also at Leiden University.
- National Championship International DraughtsEnschede, the Netherlands, April 7-16, 2016.
- Hilversum Denkt!Hilversum, the Netherlands, April 9, 2016.
- We're not democratic, but we welcome suggestions and we do actually answer questions (sometimes).
- A note on gender: we use pronouns like 'he' or 'him' to exclude awkward constructions rather than women.