Please read before you start your first game in the ArenA.
Entering a move is simple, but requires a fairly strict format. First and foremost:
- Put the cursor on a square to get the coordinates and the piece, if present.
- The applet does not accept shorthand notation such as 'e35'.
You must comply with the required format, in this case 'e3-e5'.
- However, the applet is basically a board and, provided the format is correct, will accept illegal moves just as a physical board would. There's an extended 'undo' function that allows you to take back any number of moves, provided the opponent cooperates by taking back his.
- With the command menu you can undo your last move, end a game by accepting a loss, or negotiate a draw.
- Specify the start- and endsquare, seperated by a hyphen (-), e.g. 'e3-g5'.
You may add an 'x' to denote capture, e.g. 'e3-g5x', or replace the hyphen by an 'x', e.g. 'e3xg5', but neither is necessary.
This also goes for en passant capture: 'e6-d7x' or 'e6xd7'.
- As for promotion: add the letter of the piece you want to promote to after the move, as in 'd7-d8 Q' (Queen, Marshall, Cardinal, Rook, Bishop, kNight). Be sure to put a space between the move and the letter!
Promotion follows automatically. Remember you may only promote to a captured piece.
- If you find yourself in checkmate or otherwise in a lost position, please choose 'Resign' from the command menu as your 'move', to acknowledge and officially end the game.
- The Grand Chess applet is now 'clickable'. When moving a piece, click it first. Next click the square you want to move it.
They will be marked and the corresponding move will appear in the "your Move" field.
- In a promotion, you'll have to specify the piece you want the usual way - see 'Specific'.
- To clear, click on the bottom-right button [>>>|] (go to end). Now you can start over.
- The click method only works in the end position. When you're happy with the move, enter your password and click "Submit move" as usual.