Page 3 of 14
Chess variants - general
- The Chess Variant Pages - indexThis extensive site, made by Hans Bodlaender and David Howe, may well be considered the alpha & omega of Chess variants.
- Play Chess VariantsIn their own words:
The best thing about Chess variants is being able to play them. This website, a subdomain of The Chess Variant Pages, is here to help you do just that. From this site, you can play games by email, you can play games on-line, and you can download games to play against your computer off-line.
- Ed Friedlander's Chess Variant AppletsIn another subdomain of The Chess Variant Pages, Ed Friedlander, who programmed these applets, intends them to show some of the many chess variants, rather than to be strong opponents. Longer look-aheads would have caused delays and taken up too much memory. Ed has tried to choose games that are actually popular with players.
- Wiki - Chess variants
- Chessopolis - variants
- Download ChessV_094.zip 8.4MB * Download ChessV_README.txt 4KB * Download ChessV_Source_094.zip 9.1MB
- Grand Chess - Wiki
- ig Game Center (live play)
- Grand Chess @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Grand Chess @ BrainKing (turnbased play)
- Grand Chess - Traditional Chess variants, as rated by Grandmaster Larry Kaufman
Note that the author Benedikt Rosenau ranks Grand Chess among the traditionals. We're flattered :)
- Grand Chess @ Zillions
- Grand Chess' entry at BoardGameGeek
- Grand Chess - play against a computer @ PathGuy.com
- A Korean Grand Chess site
Shogi - international
- Shogi @ The Chess variant Pages
- Shogi - Wiki
- Shogi.NetPieter Stouten's Shogi pages.
- Shogi.Net - variant softwareA subdomain of Pieter Stouten's Shogi pages.
- Phil Holland's Shogi page
- Federation of European Shogi Associations (FESA)
Shogi - dutch / nederlands
Xiangqi - international
- Xiangqi @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Xiangqi - Wiki
- World Xiangqi Federation
- Club XiangqiIn this elabotate Xiangqi site you can play the game online (turnbased).
Xiangqi - dutch / nederlands
- Congo @ ZillionsCongo has been implemented on the Zillions game machine.
- Congo @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Congo @ BoardGameGeek
- Implementierung eines Congo-Spielers (pdf) - german / deutschStudienarbeit von Andreas Knab - Abteilung für Grundlagen der Künstlichen Intelligenz - Institut für Informatik, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, 15. Mai 2007.
- Congo - chinese wiki
- ig Game Center (live play)
- A Shakti program for the MacA free downloadable Mac program by Joe Strout.
- Shakti @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Shakti's entry @ BoardGameGeek
- Caïssa @ ZillionsCaïssa has been implemented on the Zillions game machine.
- Caïssa @ The Chess Variant Pages
- In the 2003 CodeClub Challenge, Caïssa was subject of the annual game programming contest in the Netherlands.
- Chad - wiki
- Chad @ ZillionsChad has been implemented on the Zillions game machine, as well as its hexagonal version Zillions Hexchad.
- Chad @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Yari Shogi - Wiki
- Yari Shogi - ChessWiki
- Yari Shogi @ The Chess Variant Pages
- Shogi VariantsSteve Evans' Shogi variants program currently features 17 variants, including Yari Shogi, and a computer opponent. However, the executables produced by this compiler can no longer run on modern 64-bit operating systems.
Chess960 (Fischer Random Chess)
- Chess960 - Wiki
- Fischer Random Chess - The Chess Variant Pages
- Fischer Random Chess presets for Game Courier
- Chess-960.org database
- Chess960.com - Chess Tigers (german / deutsch)
- Rules of Chess960 (by Eric van Reem)
- Rules of Chess960 (by David A. Wheeler)
- Castling in Chess960 - An appeal for simplicity